Matchstick Official Forum ©
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matchstick Official Forum ©

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Billy Paul [Biography]

Go down 
AuthorMessage
P.J KING
Staff Matchstick LLC
Staff Matchstick LLC
P.J KING

Male Number of posts : 277
Artist Name Or Pseudo : P.J KING
Represent An Artist, A Band or None? : Matchstick
Are You: Unsigned/Indie/Major/None : none
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Billy Paul [Biography] Empty
PostSubject: Billy Paul [Biography]   Billy Paul [Biography] I_icon_minitimeMon 21 May - 23:17

Billy Paul [Biography] 798hs1

Source wikipedia

Billy Paul [Biography] 180px-Billy_Paul_Concert_Tunis_Avril_2006

Billy Paul in concert at Tunis.

Billy Paul (born Paul Williams on 1 December 1934 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is a well known soul singer, famous for his Grammy-winning vocals on "Me and Mrs. Jones".

Biography

Born and raised in Philadelphia, Billy Paul began his singing career when he was twelve, appearing on local radio shows. Listening at home to his family's collection of 78's, Billy began developing a vocal style that would eventually incorporate traces of Jazz, R&B and Pop. "That's how I really got indoctrinated into music", recalls Billy. "My mother was always buying and collecting records, and she would buy everything from Jazz At The Philharmonic Hall to Nat King Cole. Seeking to increase hidden technical skills, Billy attended Temple University, West Philadelphia Music School, and Granoff School of Music, for formal training. Switching from Rock to Soul to Pop ballads, he soon became an underground phenomenon in Philadelphia. Paul soon started appearing in clubs and college campuses nationally.

Paul began getting national recognition, and soon appeared in concert with such artists as Charlie Parker, Dinah Washington, Nina Simone, Miles Davis, the Impressions, Sammy Davis, Jr. and Roberta Flack. Nancy Wilson was so impressed with a track off his debut album that she recorded it herself.
Billy formed a trio and cut his first record, "Why Am I" for Jubilee Records before being drafted into the Armed Services. After his discharge, he joined the New Dawn Label, and was a brief stand in for one of the Blue Notes with Harold Melvin. His first Philly album, "Feeling Good at the Cadillac Club" combined Billy Paul and Gamble/Huff produced tunes, was released on the Gamble Label. This jazz L.P. was followed by "Ebony Woman", a more commercial release on the Gamble & Huff Neptune Label. Still later, "Going East", Billy's first album released on the Philadelphia International Label, set him further into the commercial groove. However, it was with his second album that everything broke loose in his career. "360 Degrees Of Billy Paul", and "Me and Mrs. Jones" taken off it, placed Billy's name on the lips of every couple in love. "Me and Mrs. Jones" was a No. 1 hit for the last three weeks of 1972, selling two million copies (platinum single status), and went on to win Billy the coveted Grammy Award. The gold album and platinum single broke the artist on world charts, including Britain where the single entered the top five.

Billy Paul [Biography] Thumbnailaspxpt4Billy Paul [Biography] Thumbnailaspxbillypgc8

In addition to receiving the Grammy, Billy Paul has won several Ebby awards (given by the readers of Ebony Magazine); has been the recipient at the American Music Awards, the NAACP Image Award and numerous proclamations and keys to cities across the United States. He's toured internationally with overwhelming response in the United Kingdom, and Latin America. Although he is sometimes regarded as a one-hit wonder, because nothing else came close to matching the success of "Me and Mrs. Jones", Paul has been a frequent hit maker and member of the soul music scene in the years before and after his Grammy Award, especially with the use of the consistently popular Philadelphia soul style as his backing.Paul was on the Neptune Records label for many years. He recorded much other material of note, including "Am I Black Enough For You?", "Let's Make a Baby" and an alternate version of "Let's Stay Together". Other songs he recorded include "Thanks for Saving My Life", "Let 'em In", "Your Song", "Only the Strong Survive" and "Bring the Family Back". Paul is married, and continues to tour around the world extensively.

Bio dedicated to Da Lady Sista From PJ KING
Back to top Go down

Billy Paul [Biography]
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Matchstick Official Forum ©  :: Other Musics Style/Autre Style de Musiques :: [English Side Sections] :: [Biography]-
Jump to: